About Me

The mountains are calling and I must go...Got the t shirt in Georgia one year and this is our calling! We'll see y'all down the road!

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Lake Sumner to Crosbyton, TX.. Waylon! FREE camping for the night...Crosbyton, TX



I am going to give anyone who reads this blog fair warning..for the next few weeks you will probably get Silo and Barn overload.  I love the silos in this neck of the woods and barns too. So forgive me to start with, or just check back in a few weeks when we're headed home. :) 

I set the alarm last night for 0500 this morning. I was awake by 0430 so got up and started the coffee and the heater.  Got things together and woke up Ken up at 0500.  We visited with friends and had our coffee (well, I had tea). Then we got the day started. We left the campground about 0800, daylight savings time started today so we lost an hour like everyone else. We felt pretty good about getting out of there so early! 
I think there was a wind last night! 

This was the best of the sunrise this morning..

Kind of gray and cloudy! 


Crossing over the dam there is camping by the river..no hookups.

When we left the campground we noticed that the front tire on the trailer was at a weird angle on a rock.  Looked ok so we traveled to Fort Sumner where we were hoping to visit the Billy the Kid Museum.  They are still on winter hours so they are closed on Sunday...darn!  Ken looked at the tire there, it looked low so he inflated it from 25 pounds.  
The Billy the Kid Museum..we were disappointed it wasn't
open but they're on winter hours..



Nice yard art..

The tire Ken had to work on..

We drove down the road and then followed directions to Billy the Kid's grave a few miles out of town. The museum they had there by the grave obviously has been closed for a long time..too bad. 
Quite a place..gotta say..

Love this..so simple, but gets the point across..


There were 3 graves buried together as they were PALS

Billy's tombstone has been stolen and recovered a few times.
What is wrong with people? 

Here's the lock up for Billy the Kids grave..because people kept
stealing the headstone..

Locked up in jail to protect the headstones..can you imagine?!

Surrounding the area..

Then we moved on and followed highway 60 out of town and through the rest of New Mexico.  A great highway as it goes through little towns all the way through. No freeway which is fine with us! 

We stopped and got gas where we needed to but we really didn't stop anywhere else.  We got to the town of Littlefield, TX..Waylon Jennings home town. Our oldest son, Bryan when he was in 3rd grade or so, was a huge Waylon fan. He had several albums and he always wore a big belt buckle, jeans, vest and he had an actual Waylon hat! He was so cute.  His grandma (Ken's mom),sis in law, Diane  and I  took him to his first concert, Waylon! :) 


Waylon's sign at the park..

He put his boot prints and signed it July 4 1990..:)

FREE

Several back in's 2 pull throughs..water and electric..dump
staiton on site. 


Horseshoe pits..lots of em..

This was named after his Aunt..He threw the first horseshoe
on July 4 1991..

You may not be able to tell but those are horseshoe pits! 

I got sidetracked ... It's a mom thing :)  Littlefield actually has a FREE RV Park..it has water and electric but it has a dump station on site. It was dedicated in 1990. You can stay for 4 days with hookups for free..after that the city wants $20.00 a night.  Big sites most back in, but they have 2 pull through sites. Really nice park if you're in the area.  

We had lunch there and Ken changed out the tire on the trailer.  It was losing air but he couldn't find out why.  Good thing he brought two spares. After that we moved on.  

We ended the afternoon at a FREE RV Park in Crosbyton, TX. It's on highway 82..we were able to avoid Lubbock, TX. The park has at least 6 sites that are full hookup. Dumpsters available for our use.  Big sites. You can stay for free for 4 days if you want. There is a playground and an old swimming pool that is probably available in the summer. It's just so nice! If you get the chance you won't be sorry. Nice that some of these little towns do this for RVers.  
Right across from our camp :)

The park has covers and huge bar b q pits! 

A metal slide Wendy and Linda. 

Metal swings! 

a newer place  for younger kds

Our site! 

Love this display in the park

A community swimming pool..needs work..and I think
there's a fundraiser for it! 

Hope they can make it happen for the community! 

Our sunset..!

Ok here it is silo overload..so stop if you need  or want too..I just love these things!! I wish I could remember the names of the town..but I can't without much work..so just remember Highway 82  from the stateline to Crosbyton, TX! :)  


































This has been a wonderful drive! Love the small towns and everything else about small town living! I hope you enjoyed the pictures..


12 comments:

  1. Nobody wants to steal Waylon's boot prints? Too bad Billie the Kid's museum was closed. I would have liked to have seen that.

    Silos! I live in central Illinois. We have them everywhere. Never thought they were interesting till I saw your pictures. Now I know what to do all summer 😂.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about Waylon's prints too! The Billy the Kid museum in town is open Monday through Saturday from 9 to 5 I believe and $4.00 for seniors. We just tried to hit it on a Sunday. Apparently they couldn't make two museums work I guess. I would love to see silos from your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love the small town across the country, maybe time of Ken to get 2 more spare tires,

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all brand new..the problem is screws in places they shouldn't be I'm afraid. Just glad he brought 2! Yep us too, that's why we take the back roads when we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute story about Bryan and Waylon. and they both have 'y's in their name. :)
    Love the silo and barn pictures. So much to see it is hard not to take so many pictures. :)
    Keep on traveling safe and thanks for the RV park suggestions, I've added them to my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I sit in the passenger seat and the camera keeps going. oh well, figure some where down the road I'll be looking back at what we did when we could. Glad you liked the free park suggestions!

      Delete
  6. i remember Bry in his hat and vest in fact a pic popped up at the autorama and he had that on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww cute..I know i've got one with him and the whole outfit on..i'll have to find it when we go home. The swings and slide were amazing..reminding me of when we were kids. .

      Delete
  7. Wow, some very interesting places you've been to lately. Too bad about having to lock up a headstone, sad statement about man kind, what would one do with it?

    Thanks for taking me along, I enjoyed the trip!!!!

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww you're so sweet Deb.. I know I get carried away sometimes. It is sad isn't it that people don't just leave things where they're supposed to be. Travel safe yourself. !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom and I have cut down out of Santa Rosa on 54 then connected with 60 it is a nice drive with less traffic. Tom and I are still working on our path home so I am taking notes thanks for the information about the two free campgrounds. Enjoyed all your silo pictures and the one windmill that snuck in there. I especially love seeing the windmills. Cute that your son was a Waylon fan as a little guy.
    Continued safe travels. Hopefully, no more tire issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son will be 45 next month and is still a true Waylon fan. He was in a state of mourning when he passed. Aww thanks Deb. I loved 60 and now 82. After those 2 free sites, didn't see anymore darn it.

      Delete