About Me

The mountains are calling and I must go...Got the t shirt in Georgia one year and this is our calling! We'll see y'all down the road!

Friday, October 6, 2017

Working on the outhouse and I worked on the quilt..


Oops...thought I posted this yesterday afternoon..so timing is a little off...:)


The moon setting this morning..it was so pretty! 

Yesterday morning we had our blogging, banana bread and breakfast.  Out the door we went heading for Fernley, NV and our home away from home, Lowe's.  Sure enough they held the cement mixer for us!  We got a few more things we needed and then they loaded up our little trailer with the new mixer.  They left it on the pallet so I told Ken i'll have to come up with something for him to make from that.  He didn't think that was funny, but I know i can find a little project. 

We got home and Ken got the mixer unloaded and I proceeded to pull lunch together about 1300.  He had veggie wraps and I had a salad.  I thought i'd work on the quilt but noticed that there was some dusting etc. that needed to be done.  Made some applesauce oatmeal muffins for coffee too. 
He started the concrete footings..

Our new mixer..


He's got his system down for mixing..


Ken worked all afternoon and early evening pouring the footings.  Unless you're standing there watching you don't realize how much work has gone into this little 4x6 unit.  I am amazed!  I went out periodically to check on him, get him a beer (ha) or whatever else I could do.  Finally he finished pouring the footings at about 1845.  So he came in he relaxed a bit before having dinner.  Dinner was late, but he deserved to sit a bit first. 
A little over an hour later..

and about 3 hours into it...

The sunset has begun..:)

Forms are poured..

I made spaghetti squash and roasted veggies for dinner with a white/light alfredo sauce. Ken had some ground turkey that went into his. It was really tasty.  We didn't stay up too long after that. 
More of the sunset...

Just another view..Rebar to make the concrete in the floor stronger..

This morning I was up a little after 0600 and started the coffee. After breakfast Ken headed to Yerington to get a couple of sacks of concrete (he didn't want to run short in the middle of the floor pour).  After he came back we realized why we make the trek to Fernley, the same bags of concrete we pay $3.48 for at Lowe's were $4.79 at Sticks and Stones.  Same with 2x4's much more expensive.  



Sand is even with the footings..now ready to pour the floor




Ken worked hard after our salad lunch today.  He got the floor poured! It looks awesome. He was a little short on concrete behind the toilet but it's ready to pour once he gets one more bag.  37 bags of concrete for this 4x6 bathroom with footings..wow! (38 when it's done)..

About a quarter of the way done...

Finished and oh so pretty!

 While Ken was working outside I was working on the Christmas quilt inside.  I just had to sample the quilt top on the bunkhouse bed.  Pictures just don't do it justice the colors are really more vibrant and I'm happy with the way it's turning out.  I don't have the patience for fancy shapes and cuts, so I'm good with the imperfect squares.  Next is the batting and back to finish.  That'll have to wait until next week as we're leaving tomorrow for the weekend. Yay!  Outhouse Races in Virginia City on Saturday here we come!  hahaha...We'll be back on Sunday sometime. Short trip but better than no trip.  




Thanks to our blogging friend George "our awesome travels"...I made some spaghetti sauce, because his spaghetti squash looked so good this morning.  So we'll have that for dinner tonight.  



Yum...


Our son Bryan sent these pics last night.  His friend "Triplett" was up for a visit and took these pictures from his drone..


Bryan's back yard..

Looking at the house and yard and corral on the right

From left to right...Triplett, his fiancee, Bryan, Cheryl, Adam and Raider..
Notice Lucy looking out from behind Triplett..don't think she wants
her picture taken! 

Hoping to have some interesting pictures of the outhouse races over the weekend. Hope you are enjoying too!  

4 comments:

  1. The outhouse floor looks awesome, nice to get that taken care of.
    Thanks for the shout and hope you enjoyed the spaghetti sauce on your squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We most certainly did George! Thanks for the compliment on the floor. I'm glad he's able to do it, just amazing how much concrete goes into it!

      Delete
  2. Ken is doing an awesome job! Yay! Almost there!
    I've never had to urge to quilt before but it looks so nice, I'm almost tempted! I not only love the quilt but I love the bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww..thank you! I don't have the patience for fancy..but this is easy and changes the look very cheaply. I think the outside looks of the outhouse are going to be the most troublesome, as we want it to look aged, but old wood is hard to find around here..challenge!

      Delete