About Me

The mountains are calling and I must go...Got the t shirt in Georgia one year and this is our calling! We'll see y'all down the road!

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Great drive, A RANT..memories from 50 years ago..

Saturday morning we left the Corps of Engineer park close to 0930 which is early for us!  The day started off with me burning Ken's bacon.  While I was dealing with that and getting more started I succeeded in burning the eggbeater omelet I had going on the stove. OHOH..uhhh..Finally got us both some edible breakfast and we were on the road :)  Later on at a potty stop, Ken found that somehow I had left a burner turned on, no flame just gas!! How I did that I don't know, but will certainly be more careful at checking that now! WE found I 20 and had a nice drive heading toward Texas.  At Tyler, we got off the Interstate and headed towards Denton, TX.  
Our campsite...

So pretty if only they weren't shutting it down!

Bathrooms with showers..and only $7.50 if you have the
America the Beautiful pass..



Nice playground for the kids :) 

Beautiful  park! We would definitely come back if in the area!

Each site has picnic table, fire pit, electric and water..

Love the green!

There she is..💕


Coming into Bossier Parish..like a mini Las Vegas..

Bet it's quite the town when everything is open!!

We had no idea this town existed! 





Interesting mural on the side of this building 

Old part of town :) 

This is my kind of road! Houses and little towns to go through. Makes it all the more interesting :)   About 1300 we found an empty lot and pulled over to make a little lunch. Then back on the road.  















As we neared the town of McKinney everything changed!! Wow! The traffic was something else.  Don't think Texas got the message that the country is shut down!  Walmart, Kroeger, Lowe's, Home Depot and many other parking lots were plum full of cars and people!  Fast food places also had many cars waiting through their drive throughs!  Whattaburger, Cane's Fried Chicken Tenders and Carl's Jr seemed to be the most popular with crazy, crazy, lines.  I noticed most restaurants had many cars in the parking lots.  Doesn't look like people cook at home anymore!  

McKinney is a HUGE town with lots of growth! As a matter a fact it's growing right into the next town of Denton!  Reminds me of Sacramento to Folsom to Placerville. We took the Denton bypass and headed up I35 to a KOA in Sanger, TX.  

A nice RV park full of people!  We don't stay at KOA very often, but sometimes it's the only choice especially now. (Even though I just read some cities are closing them down) :( 

Ken did his thing outside and I did mine inside.  Eventually we met for Happy Hour inside as it was chilly outside.  So we made some decisions for the way home. Unfortunately it's not what either of us wanted when we started this trip last month.  

Finally, after years I got Ken on board to my way of thinking for on the way home. He's really good about taking our time to get to Don's, but when we're on the way home he likes to get home quicker than me.  This year he was really looking forward to our trip home, taking our time and finding different ways to go. Then the country goes crazy and everything is shut down. More each day.  So that being said, we're heading up to I 40 and heading west. :((  It wasn't an easy decision as we both HATE that highway.  Hoping I'm not in too bad of mood, or we will have to change our thoughts and ways of going home.  As we near Nevada, we'll keep an eye on what's going on with Lake Mead and if a campground is open we'll stop there.  So we'll see. 

As I'm writing this I'm getting in a bad mood just thinking about it! So might as well complete the blog with this one. 

There are four words in this language I have come to hate!  The first one is Empower (Empowering..Empowered) ...when I was working that was "the word" used way too much along with "Brainstorming"...uhhhh.  Now the 2 words I hate the most are "Social Distancing"...  I'm sick of hearing it! Common sense people! You don't need some "name" for it!!  I can guarantee you that there was no six feet of space in those Walmarts or Lowe's with all the cars in the parking lots! How many people will continue with the gloves, masks, 6 feet once this is over?!!! Who's to say what's next..

Done. Sometimes ya just gotta let it out!!!



This is Sunday night.  We had a great drive from Sanger, TX to Amarillo, TX.  I like highway 287 as there are towns and things to look at :)  We enjoy watching the scenery change from green to brown to desert.  It was a little over 300 miles, but they were easy miles. 
Gotta love the highway! 


Wichita Falls, TX..

Add caption



Love these old towns...just sad that they don't survive..



Sonic is doing well in every town!



A little Bistro when it's open..

1970..WOW the Memories!!

Another dying area :( 


Part of the Western Skies Motel...50 years ago in August we were headed to Arkansas..going to stop in Texarkana to see my Aunt Ollie.  Daddy was going to get beer here (turns out it was a dry county)..Mom had a fit and said we were going home in the morning.  My mom didn't drink except on vacation and she liked her beer. I have the letter I wrote Ken then telling him how my mom and dad were fighting :)  We didn't go home, but daddy always had beer and ice after that! :)  Kind of funny...Western Skies Motel and 50 years later we bought our Mansion from Western Skies RV...HMMM...



Silos in the area :)

Here we are for the night..Amarillo!  Got a motorhome from Quebec
and now two others.  Great place to spend the night. 


We're in the Texas Welcome Center in Amarillo.  Very nice and several spots for RVS to park. Right now we're here with 2 other RVS one from Quebec, not sure about the other. 

Have a good night.. Hopefully Albuquerque area tomorrow night...

10 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, the world right now is a huge bowl of Jell-o and we all need to do our best to conform with the jiggles. Sounds like Texas could care less and that is very worriesome and one reason why we needed to get home. Canada reacted quicker. :(
    We've stayed at that lovely Welcome Centre a couple of times and had it in our sights this winter but detoured. I-40 is not fun, but some spots are okay.
    Be careful in that new trailer, Shirley. I'm sure it is just distractions and we all have those.
    Take care of yourselves and stay healthy. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally we avoid I40 because of the truck traffic along with all the cars. Traffic wasn't bad yesterday, alot of trucks but not many cars. Sure alot of RVs heading east! I'm still shaking my head as to how that happened. Glad you are home safe and sound :)

      Delete
  2. Don't feel bad. I've done the same thing IN MY HOUSE. We all do it once. Sorry you have to head back on such a fast track. Even the RV parks are now being forced to close down. I just don't get it. You are in your rig ... it's not like you are having a big party outside with a hundred people. Where are you supposed to stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we're not happy about heading home early..oh well at least we have a nice place to go to once we're there. The people "in the know" obviously don't know that you need RV Parks if you're in your rig! Probably never camped a day in their life!

      Delete
  3. Burning breakfast is a small price to pay for the nice drive you had. Beautiful towns and beautiful memories. I'm going to try and take it slow going home, but like Ken it's hard for me to do. Have a safe trip today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. Yes, it was a lovely ride! Much preferred to the interstate, but that's what we're on now. :( Looking forward to when this is over and we can get back out there for a few days!

      Delete
  4. We all need to rant once in a while because of bad days.
    Very Lucky you don't smoke or finding the burner turned on could have been a disaster.
    Everything being closed down is causing problems for everyone.
    Nice Pictures.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick. Yep even most of the rest areas across AZ are closed. Feel bad for the truckers!!

      Delete
  5. I'm sure Ken was very understanding about breakfast. We like 'crisp' bacon. I mean....it's BACON! What's not to like!
    You guys find some great little towns to see. With all your travels you actually found a place you didn't know about??
    Loved the story about the motel when you were a kid.
    Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did cook him some much to his liking and put the "burnt" bacon in my egg beaters, yummy! Haha. Yep but we hadn't been that way before! That's our fun is to try and find a new way home through some of the states. Aww. thanks yep lots of memories from those CA to Arkansas days :)

      Delete