About Me

The mountains are calling and I must go...Got the t shirt in Georgia one year and this is our calling! We'll see y'all down the road!

Friday, July 13, 2018

Yerington to Lamoille Canyon to Pocatello, Idaho...Happy 40th to our baby boy!







Good morning from Pocatello, Idaho KOA!  Frustrating morning today as I was up at 0430 to get caught up on the blog, but the internet gods were not with me and my wifi from Verizon. It wouldn't let me connect and I didn't know where Ken's was and didn't want to wake him just to ask that! He got up about 0530 and gave me his which works...hmmm..seems coincidental since I cancelled our home phone and it was end of cycle. We'll see once i talk with Verizon. 
Lamoille Canyon

Ken and Jacob

All the boys..

$13.00 pop up tent 

Our view from camp

To get caught up a bit..We left home on Tuesday morning, just about 0715, only 15 minutes later than planned. Not bad.  We had an uneventful drive over to Elko and Lamoille Canyon our final destination of the day. We stopped on the way and had lunch at a rest area. I 80 all the way with Adam and Seth taking turns driving the Patriot.  Somewhere along the way Jacob joined us and I went to the back seat of the Tundra.  The kid is so tall, 6'3" (maybe more)..that he has to put the front seat way back. I don't mind at all. 

We got to the campground and our reserved spot and the boys left shortly after to take the hike out of the campground.  Mason and Jacob ended up coming back before the others but a little later the others made it back. We had a nice dinner and some smorfs (smores to everyone else) and a great fire. Bedtime shortly after.  Adam forgot his sleeping bag so he ended up sleeping in the car with blankets. 

Wednesday morning, got up and had our coffees before the hunger crowd awoke.  Eventually I made some chocolate chip pancakes, bacon and eggs for them. Gotta say I love the Blackstone for cooking the large quantities. 
Aaron was a little tired from his hike..






We all headed to the end of the road and the box canyon.  It was already very warm. I had decided to hang out at the truck and read my kindle rather than go on a hike. Adam, Seth and Aaron headed out to Liberty Lake and Ken, Jacob and Mason headed to Island Lake.  Everyone was gone at least a few hours with Ken and group returning first. We went ahead and went back to camp as the other boys had the Patriot.  Starving they were, so I made sandwiches and after finishing that the others returned not too much later. They all enjoyed the hikes. Ken's was about 2 miles and ended at  9760    elevation and the others was over 10000 foot elevation. I enjoyed my time, not doing much of anything. haha.
Ken's hike to Island Lake









Jacob and Mason..I'm still waiting for pics from the other boys..

The boys pretty much relaxed the rest of the afternoon. Ken cooked some burgers and I made fries on the Blackstone.  We had a fire but the boys turned down more smorfs. An early night was called. 

Thursday morning I was up at 0430 and made sandwiches for everyone for lunch as we had a pretty good days drive.  Breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches were in store for everyone. Loaded up and off we went. Jacob and Mason were with us once again. A nice drive to Wells, and then highway 93 to the outside of Twin Falls where we hit the freeway.  Pulled over and had a quick lunch and on we went to Pocatello.  I saw there was a Passport America park so I called them to see if they had a spot available. It was a mobile home park with 10 spaces for overnighters and tent sites. Don't believe all that's written..pass this one by for sure.  The manager waved us in and then there was the back in site.  Next to it the "tent site" which was a brown yucky side yard of an old fifth wheel. Sure, put 5 teenage boys there right under the guys slide out. Showers were extra $$..it sucked!  Ken nicely told him, it wouldn't work for us and off we went to the local KOA.  Now we all know they're not cheap but at least you know you've got a decent place to stay and it is.  We got 10% off because I'm retired  Sheriff's Department. They do it for 1st responders, military etc. We got a RV site and then a tent site directly across. 
Sandwiches in the making..



Idaho barn..:)

Idaho silo
 Game room fun!






Tacos

This was cool from New York..


We got set up and Mason and Aaron and I ran to Walmart and picked up 5 pillows and a sleeping bag for Adam. Most of the boys went to the game room for some darts, ping pong and pool playing. I worked on tacos for dinner so it was a great night. The boys enjoyed and we just visited until they decided it was time for bed. 

Today (Friday) we head for the Grand Tetons.  Hopefully we'll get a camping spot.  Lots of RVers and families on the road. 

Happy 40th Birthday to our youngest son, Russell! Don't know where the time has gone. He's heading out with Lori and their good friends Steve and Jenn for the bay area and some Harley riding for the next few days. He's certainly excited!  

Eric and Christina headed out yesterday for a nice long drive, so I stole this pic from FB..
Time to get going!~

1 comment:

  1. What a great catch up. Your adventures with the boys plus all the cooking you do tires me out and I'm busy enough! :)
    I would have stayed with the truck too, with my book. I'm good with my alone time during the daytime hours.
    Keep on having fun times, Shirley and Happy Birthday Russell!

    ReplyDelete